Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
If you’re looking for a comforting and easy-to-make dinner recipe, crock pot chicken pot pie is the perfect solution. With just a few ingredients and minimal prep time, this recipe will have you enjoying a warm and hearty meal in no time. Here’s how to make it:
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 Crock Pot
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- Begin by placing the chicken breasts in the crock pot. Pour the cream of chicken soup over the chicken.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables to the crock pot and stir everything together.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crock pot and shred them into small pieces using two forks.
- Place the shredded chicken back into the crock pot and stir everything together.
- Roll out the pie crust and place it over the crock pot, trimming any excess dough. Make a few slits in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the chicken pot pie in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken?
Yes, you can absolutely use frozen chicken in this recipe. In fact, that’s one of the best things about crock pot cooking – you don’t need to worry about thawing your ingredients ahead of time. Just plop that frozen chicken into the pot and let it cook low and slow with the rest of the ingredients.
I remember one time I was making this recipe and realized at the last minute that I had forgotten to thaw my chicken. Rather than give up on dinner, I decided to try using the frozen chicken breasts anyway.
To my surprise, the dish turned out great! The chicken cooked perfectly and was incredibly moist and tender. So don’t be afraid to try using frozen chicken – it might just become your new favorite hack.
What Can I Use Instead of Pie Crust?
If you don’t have a pie crust on hand or just prefer not to use one, there are plenty of other options you can try. One simple alternative is to use some biscuits as a topping instead. Just pop open a can of refrigerated biscuits, flatten them out a bit, and place them over the top of the chicken mixture in the crock pot. Then let everything cook together until the biscuits are golden brown.
Another option is to make your own biscuit dough from scratch. This might seem daunting if you’re not an experienced baker, but trust me – it’s easier than you think! Plus, homemade biscuits taste amazing and are a great way to impress your dinner guests.
Can I Add Other Vegetables?
Absolutely! One of the best things about this recipe is how customizable it is. If you’re not a fan of mixed vegetables or just want to switch things up, feel free to add in your favorite veggies instead. Some great options include diced potatoes, chopped carrots, and sliced mushrooms. You could even toss in some frozen corn or peas for a pop of color and flavor.
The key is to make sure you’re using vegetables that will hold up well during the long cooking process. Softer veggies like zucchini or bell peppers might not hold their shape as well, so it’s best to stick with heartier options. And don’t be afraid to experiment – you never know what delicious combinations you might discover!
Add a biscuit side
If you’re looking for a delicious side to go along with your crockpot chicken pot pie, consider making some extra biscuits! Not only are they easy to whip up, but they also pair perfectly with the warm and comforting flavors of the pot pie.
You could even try adding some shredded cheese or herbs like rosemary or thyme to take your biscuits to the next level. And if you’re feeling adventurous, why not try making a batch of garlic butter to spread on top? Trust us – your taste buds will thank you.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can definitely make this recipe ahead of time! In fact, that’s one of the great things about crock pot cooking – you can prepare everything in advance and then just let it cook while you go about your day.
To make this recipe ahead of time, simply follow the instructions as usual and then refrigerate the chicken mixture until you’re ready to bake it. When you’re ready to eat, simply roll out your pie crust and place it over the top of the mixture. Then bake as directed and enjoy!
One of my favorite things to do is to make a big batch of this chicken pot pie on a Sunday afternoon and then enjoy it throughout the week for lunches and dinners. It’s a great way to save time and ensure that you always have a delicious, home-cooked meal on hand.
Just put it in the freezer and constantly eat the leftovers.
Tips and Tricks for making Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
- Add Celery for a side dish for this great meal
- Use only Chicken thighs
- Add a pinch of Garlic powder
- Use cream of mushroom soup
- Add some Fresh vegetables such as green beans or broccoli
- Seasonings options: Parsley, Poultry seasoning, Gravy
- Add a pinch of Heavy cream for a great recipe
- Pay careful attention to cooking time
- Store in the fridge or freezer to eat next time
- Heat up some frozen peas in the microwave
- Cook in an instant pot for classic comfort food
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins
- Honey Garlic Roasted Carrots
- Buttery Roasted Potatoes
- How to make Chili in a Slow Cooker
- How to make Baked Eggplant Parmesan
If you’re looking to add some extra comfort to your crockpot chicken pot pie, why not try adding some dumplings? They’re an easy and delicious way to take this already amazing dish to the next level.
To make dumplings, simply mix together 1 cup of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Add in 1/2 cup of milk and stir until the mixture forms a thick dough.
Use a Crockpot
Using a crockpot is the perfect way to make this chicken pot pie recipe. It allows you to cook the dish slowly and evenly, resulting in tender and flavorful chicken. Plus, it’s a hands-off method that gives you more time to focus on other things.
To use a crockpot for this recipe, simply follow the instructions as usual and then transfer everything into your crockpot instead of a baking dish. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. When it’s finished cooking, roll out your pie crust and place it over the
How Can I Make This Recipe Healthier?
While this recipe is already fairly simple and healthy, there are a few tweaks you can make to make it even better for you. For example, you could use a low-sodium cream of chicken soup or make your own homemade soup from scratch to reduce the amount of sodium in the recipe.
You could also add in some extra vegetables to boost the nutritional value. Try adding in some spinach or kale for a dose of vitamins and fiber. And if you’re really trying to cut back on calories, you could skip the pie crust altogether and just enjoy the chicken mixture as a stew.
What is the sauce made of in chicken pot pie?
The sauce in chicken pot pie is typically made of a combination of butter, flour, chicken broth, and milk or cream. This mixture is cooked until it thickens and becomes a creamy sauce that coats the chicken and vegetables inside the pie.
Remember, there are plenty of ways to make this recipe your own and adapt it to fit your dietary needs and preferences. So don’t be afraid to get creative and experiment with different ingredients and flavors!
For the best slow cooker chicken pot pie comfort food, try this recipe.
Don’t forget to follow on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.